Comprehensive Midwifery Care
I believe my clients’ are the experts on their bodies, and we will work together to ensure a healthy pregnancy, birth, and postpartum. Working with a small number of families choosing home birth, I am able to provide every client, partner and baby with spacious, calm, individualized care. I welcome families to come into my care at any point in their pregnancy. My home birth service area includes a 60 minute radius of Philadelphia into New Jersey and Southeast PA.
Imagine having a checkup in your living room! At every prenatal, we'll talk about you and your baby's well being and answer all of you and your partner's questions (and your kiddos questions too). I'll provide education relevant to your family in preparing for birth and new baby, and discuss upcoming tests and procedures available to you in your pregnancy.
Your prenatal care include:
- 90 minute initial prenatal visit
- Monthly prenatal visits until 28 weeks of pregnancy
- Bi-monthly prenatal visits from 28-36 weeks
- Weekly prenatals from 36 weeks until the birth of your baby
- Lab work and ultrasound referrals as needed
- Unlimited support by phone and email throughout pregnancy
- 24/7 on-call availability beginning at 37 weeks
We will be in close contact as your labor begins, and I will join you at your home when you enter active labor. During your birth, I listen to your baby’s heartbeat and check your vitals regularly to ensure both you and the baby are coping well through the labor process. I bring a well-stocked birth bag with supportive tools and emergency supplies if needed. As you get closer to birthing your baby,, I will call a second certified midwife in so you have two sets of trained hands available if needed.
Each home birth is unique. I tailor my support to your needs and desires, whether that be active verbal and physical support, or being a quiet, calm presence in the corner until it’s time for your baby to be born.
Once your baby arrives, I typically stay for 3-4 hours to support both you and your baby’s transition and assist your baby’s first latch. I provide a thorough head-to-toe newborn exam right on your bed, clean up your home from the birth and then tuck in your family for a good nap.
Many families will choose to labor and birth in the tub, the warm water and weightlessness offering natural pain relief and relaxation. It can be so comfortable you may fall asleep! The tub can be the perfect spot for you or your partner to catch your own baby. I have a birth tub available for all of my clients.
Comprehensive, home-based postpartum care is one of the best parts of having a midwife. At each hour long postpartum checkup I assess you and your baby’s well being, while providing education and support for nursing, healing, and caring for your baby. In addition to your home visits, I continue to be on-call for your family in the postpartum to advise you on any questions or concerns for you and your baby.
Postpartum visits include:
- Hour long visits at 1 day, 3-4 days, 7 days, 2 weeks, 4 weeks and 6 weeks
- Taking parent and baby vitals, including weighing your baby
- Lactation and infant feeding support
- Performing congenital heart defect and metabolic screening for your baby (day 1 and 2 weeks)
- Pap and pelvic floor assessment at 6 weeks postpartum